Sunday, January 4, 2015

SUNDAY: Grandmother's Apron: Wrapped in Love


"The principle use of Grandmother's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven; it was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids; and when the weather here was cold, Grandmother wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandmother walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will be a long time before someone invents something what will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes."

Flossie Drucella Duncan 1940s

A little melancholy today. . .
Remembering my 'Granny' with much love and thinking how her apron
was used for so many tasks and chores in the same way. . .As I look back, that simple apron is a symbol of Granny's love for her family and the hard work she did in order to make a house a home. . .and. . .it offered comfort and care and a haven of protection when a certain little grandchild needed  it. . .
Hoping you, too, have such wonderful memories.
There's nothing like a new year to bring on some sentimental reflection. . .I feel wrapped in love once again.

SUNDAY BLESSINGS AND
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!


12 comments:

Linda Walker said...

Lovely post to read with my morning coffee. Grandmothers are very special people in our lives, that is for sure. Your post about your grandmother reminded me of my own grandmother, her cooking, her delicious buttermilk doughnuts that she made every Wednesday and the wonderful smell of her home. Nice memories....and a nice tribute to your grandmother as well.
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Ruffles and Roses said...

I too enjoyed having my coffee and reading this wonderful story..MY grandmere' had a farm and yes it was the apron that I so remember ....my other grandmother always wore an apron and carried many items in it while heading up the stairs where my grandfather was bedridden...oh those aprons...I sell antique and vintage linens on cape cod and I always find beautiful aprons with history....thank you for bringing me back to all those wonderful years...Lorraine

Muddy Boots Old Houses and The Farm said...

Love your post, it makes me want to have those old times back today so that our kids have those same memories:)..... I guess that's why we sold our house in suburban ontario and bought a 130 year old farm house in rural prince edward island and are taking up the "new" but "old" practices of farming......awesome.....I have to make me one of those aprons:) and create lasting memories

Junkchiccottage said...

Great post. Grandmothers memories are the best. Reminds me of my grandmother on her farm and cooking farm fresh breakfast every morning and her pretty apron that adorned her too. Happy Sunday.
Kris

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful post! I don't ever remember seeing my Grammie in an apron but my great aunt, who was like a grandmother to us always wore a full on over her dress. Fond memories. :) Have a wonderful week.

Patti said...

Such a sweet post! I had my gramdmother's hats for years in a large box - stored away at my mother's house. Grama wore hats and gloves - and told me once to cover my skin - so I wouldn't get age spots on my arms when I was older. I didn't listen. I miss her, too.

cynthia lee designs said...

What a wonderful post!! I miss my grandma so much.
hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

I love your beautiful post. I remember both of my grandmothers wearing aprons when we visited them. It is amazing how important that one garment was. I still love aprons. I even made my grown daughters aprons as gifts several years ago.
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

No grannies to wrap me in their apron love. They had all passed when I was a babe. I did however have Aunts and one in particular always wore an apron. On Sunday she would be at her sink in her apron and pearls. Sweet memories of your granny! My cousin gave me an apron for Christmas that belonged to my Aunt Viola. Love it!
hugs,
Jann

Maureen Wyatt said...

This is such a lovely post that I had to share it to my facebook page. Thanks!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful memory! Thanks for sharing.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Dru. What a special post. I just love how you write along with all of your subjects. I have one of my grandma's aprons which a puppy got a hold of one time and chewed some holes in. She had made me a dress when I was in first grade and with left over fabric she made the apron in question for herself. Can't wear it anymore but at least I have a piece of the memories..Happy Thursday..Judy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...